Friday 10 September 2010

BARKER


BARKER

(for Carmel Xmas 2001)

T’was a suggestion
Not an ambition,
to change direction
To like, start a profession

Head first I was in the battlefield
Frontin like General Patten
Armed to the teeth with attitude and cheek
Bent as a banana
In the trail of Andy
Like a duck and its mama

To plant a stall is to cast a web
The radius of my infra-scan
& to every passer fly
in a coaxing manner
I bark
Hard as any guard mutt outside a yard in Guyana

And so
Cut throat and fast
Like pirates on a mast
We bellow
And transact without contact
No ‘hello’
Dilly dally

" ‘ere y’are girls,
roll up or stroll up”
The wisest dude in the market hollers
& empties his stock box
for incoming dollars

For here
to expel is to sell well
Through worn chords, brain swell
Headache!
Cranium shell
pulsating like a bass speaker
when you shake it like a bell
Turning up its migraneous pounding

Breathe..
From the stomach

Neighbors, on cricket-is-rained-out-of-play days
are stark
In contrast
our punters
pile like rubbernecks
drawn by the bark

In Camden,
who knows
what the ‘eck we’re on about
The neighbors
look like they’re ,thinkin
‘Who let the blinkin dogs out?'

Leather Lane:
I swear I saw a master, raw
He, (Terry) held me in awe
I watched him sell remnants from on the floor
Crate for a chariot
and roar
Warrior cheif of the dogs of war
1st horseman of the apocalypse
Wielding fragrance you could spray on chips

and emerged the undisputed heavyweight champion
Of 600 quid in ten minutes
on salmon ‘n rosy;
Now what that emphasis,
is the power of individuality
And the weakness of the masses

So I,
Si,
Town crier,
spin yarns like Billy Liar
Protégée
I heard Terry say
And he’d egotistically tell ya

I’ve got something for the girlies
‘n something for the fellas
Sunnies for the honies
‘n funnies for the bunnies
The feeling I give
you cost nothing;
but your money,
I’ll unscrupulously take.
“Is this real ‘Issy Miyake”
Yes love
It’s real fake.

No comments:

Post a Comment